Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Iguazu Falls

Imagine Niagara Falls, now multiply it by 10 and plop it into the middle of the jungle. Even with your imagination's creative vision, Iguazu Falls would be much more than that.

It is absolutely incredible to be standing at the mouth of the falls and hearing the water rushing past, feeling the mist on your face, watching the swifts dart in and out of the water. On the day I was there, it was also raining a little bit. I had goosebumps all over. It was intense to be on the edge of something to massive and powerful. The picture will never do it justice. The videos will give a slight sense of how impressive it was. But this really is a must-see destination. It's one of the seven natural wonders of the world.

They have three or four trails cutting through the jungle that lead you to the upper portion of the falls, the lower portion of the falls and straight into the Devil's Throat (that's the name of the main falls). There's also another trail that leads through the forest to an amazing panoramic view of the jungle from on top of another waterfall.

There were butterflies everywhere! They landed on my shoulders, on my hat, on my shoes, on my ankles, even on my face! They weren't landing on anyone else. I feel special.

They have a boat that goes right into the heart of the falls. But this isn't your regular maid of the mist tugboat. It's a heavy duty craft with heavy duty motors to power into the middle of the raging falls and back out again. Definitely would be banned in Canada. This would be a top 5 highlight of my trip so far!


Boat to the falls
View from the boat before we went in

Devil's Throat


Devil's Throat

Devil's Throat



First Waterfall I saw

Mist everywhere!

Simply amazing!

1 comment: