Saturday, November 2, 2013

Torres del Paine National Park

One of the experiences I was looking forward to was Torres del Paine National Park. It is a mountain range separate from the Andes that is surrounded by lakes. I first thought I'd do the four day hike around the mountains, but as all my gear got stolen, I couldn't....yeah right! Who am I kidding? I'm not really going to do a four day hike! That's just madness.

The park is really beautiful, and I arranged to go with a tour because buses are infrequent and don't go throughout the park. You could tell this tour guide didn't love the park like my previous glacier guide. Even though the passion wasn't there, it didn't take away from this beautiful place. We drove past rivers and lakes and mountains and water so blue it looked like it was photoshopped. We were supposed to do a hike down a canyon to a waterfall but the park rangers closed the trail due to winds at 130km/h!

We settled for a short walk to see Glacier Grey. It was still exciting.

I hope to return one day and camp out and do some trekking. But it wasn't in the cards for me this time. I think one thing to remember about travelling is that you can't do everything, nor should you. There should always be something to draw you back to a place. If for nothing else, to experience something new.

Foreground: Lake Sarmiento, Background: Torres and Cuerno del Paine

Lake Sarmiento

Lake Pehoe with Torres del Paine

Lake Grey with gale force winds

Iceberg ahead!!

Glacier Grey on a grey day

No comments:

Post a Comment