Monday, May 13, 2013

Copacabana & Lake Titicaca

8km from the border of Peru in Bolivia is the tourist-centric town of Copacabana. It sits right on Lake Titicaca and there are tours of the surrounding islands here. It's freezing cold here at night and only gets up to about 18C in the day time. That's because it sits at 3800m above sea level on the world's 3rd highest lake, Lake Titicaca. I don't know how the lake stays full. I was told there used to be a ski resort on one of the islands in the lake, but it's shut down because it all melted away.

Bolivia is cheaper than I could have imagined. Meals are $2, a nice hotel room is $10, taxis are $1, sweaters and pants are $10. It's so inexpensive.

A boat tour to the Isla del Sol is $5 to get there and come back. There's another $5 in trail fees. The trail is 8km long, strenuous and not meant for a sea level lifer like me. Everything seems harder at 3800m above sea level. My body's energy supplies ran out at about kilometre 6 at about 2:30 and the boat was leaving at 3:30. No doubt about it, the views were fantastic. But I don't think I'll be putting myself through that kind of torture again! Picture crystal clear blue water with snow-capped mountains on the horizon, islands all around and fluffy white cotton candy clouds dotting the skies. You don't actually have to picture it because I have my camera! Lucky you!








No comments:

Post a Comment