Monday, May 6, 2013

Cusco

Cusco is the centre of the Inca universe. The Incas gave huge importance to animals and their city planning reflected it. Cusco was originally built in the shape of a puma. Machu Pichu is in the shape of a condor.

This city is entrenched in history. There are Catholic churches built on the foundations of Inca temples. The Spanish knocked them down to put up the churches after they killed off the Incas. The main plaza has some amazing balconies. The colonial architecture again is astounding. And there's a huge black market here where people buy back things that were stolen from them. The market is called El Molina.

I walked down to the black market from my hostel and tried ceviche for the first time. It was pretty good. But a little rubbery. I don't think I'll have it again. There were no tourists there and no souvenirs. This market is just for the Cuzquenos about an hour away from the centro historico. As I walked, I saw this cutout of an Inca and had to take a picture.
I am the Inca
Qorikancha - This picture shows the church that was built on the foundation of the Inca's temple of the sun. The grey stones on the bottom are all that remain of the Inca's building.


This is my most favourite building in all of Cusco. It's the Justice Palace. How can you not like something with a name like that. Makes me think Batman, 007 and the CSI trifecta hang out there!

Finally, no visit to a South American city would be complete without a Plaza de Armas. The place where the church, the government and the rich people would live. Not much has changed since then. The day I went there was a parade. Check out the video!


Here are some photos that have been touched up from previous posts.
Lima: Bones in the Catacombs
On the Nazca Lines plane

No comments:

Post a Comment