Thursday, March 28, 2013

Baños (de Agua Santa)

I hopped on a bus out of Quito to Baños de Agua Santa, Baños for short. The town is named for the thermal baths that are heated by the volcano nearby. It is situated at the foot of a volcano, Volcan Tungurahua.

The hostel I'm staying at is a great house. Very new. And recently re-opened. The co-owners are very nice and are helping me with my Spanish. I'm learning more and more everyday. Now it's just a matter of practice. The owners are very nice and speak slowly and articulate well. They also told me that the best time to visit the thermal baths is at 5 or 6 in the morning. That's when the water is at it's mineral richest, and less crowded. We arrived at 6am. I thought we were early, but there were already loads of people there. This particular baths is situated right under a waterfall. They have diverted the flow of the waterfall so you can take a quick rinse off and hop back into the water. The opening and closing of the pores is supposed to be therapeutic and good for circulation.

The owners also told me that once a year, people walk from Ambato, Ecuador to Baños during Easter. The waters are attributed for their healing properties. This is an idyllic little town. It is booked solid for this weekend and I wanted to extend my stay. The hostel doesn't have any room, but the owner has offered me a spare room in her house to stay in. I'm so glad I'm learning the language. You get opportunities you wouldn't otherwise have. I can only go up from here.





 The street art in this city is amazing. There are some talented people here.



2 comments:

  1. Hello Daniel
    Glad to see that you are making it through South and Central America , lovely pictures and some delicious looking food. I am currently in the Caribbean soaking up some of the sunshine and hot weather. Looking forward to more pics as you venture on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how many people pee in that banos. Heh heh

    ReplyDelete