Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Popayan

Popayan is a small town about 7 hours drive south of Pereira. I've stayed here two nights at an empty hostel. I'm assuming most travellers decided to make the flight to Quito instead of waiting out the strike. Sucks to be them!

When I read about this city, I wasn't too sure I wanted to visit it. But when I got here, I realized I was wrong. This place is beautiful. You feel like you've stepped back into colonial times. And in the main square, there are multi-coloured lights on the walls. Everything in the historic centre is lovingly maintained and it shows. 

My hostel is right in the centre, a 10 minute walk from the bus terminal. I went to the colourful Silvia indigenous market today. It's just like any other flea market, but there are so many natives. They all wear black bowlers. The men wear purple skirts and blue ponchos. The women wear black dresses. I didn't take any pictures because that would just be weird. Enjoy the architecture of Popayan below. Tomorrow I head to Ipiales, a town on the Colombia-Ecuador border famous for the Las Lajas Cathedral. Another harrowing 8 hour ride lies ahead... :)








No comments:

Post a Comment