Monday, March 11, 2013

Pereira to Popayan

Today I made the journey from Pereira, Colombia to Popayan, Colombia. It was a 7 hour trip with a 1 hour stop in Cali for the driver to get more passengers. I left my hostel in Pereira at 9:50am though because the information desk at the bus station said buses leave for Popayan at 8, 9 and 10. No such luck. When I got there, I was informed it would be a 40 minute wait for the bus to leave. Which turned into two hours.
The driver (as many other drivers) was taking all the turns so fast and making excellent time. But at certain points I was a bit nervous. Other people in my old hostel had said they were stopped multiple times at military checkpoints, but I didn't get any of those either. So I sit here in my hostel in Popayan grateful for a safe and uneventful journey.

The video below is the highlight of my road trip. It's a truck transporting metal with a whole bunch of people on the back. I was only able to get this footage because we were stopped at a toll booth, where three of the guys jumped off, grabbed some water from the maintenance guy with the hose and jumped back on.


No comments:

Post a Comment