Sunday, March 10, 2013

Otun Quimbaya

Anyone up for a Sunday bike ride? Down a mountain? On an unpaved road? With giant rocks everywhere?

Hahaha, that's what it was. Today I took a chiva again up another mountain to Otun Quimbaya which is a small flora and fauna reserve about an hour outside of Pereira. It is at 2250m above sea level. Pereira is at 1400m. The hostel owner, Danny, said it would be all downhill riding. It wasn't. I am dead tired as I write this at 4pm. We got back at 2pm.


It was exhilirating. There were a few times I thought I wouldn't make it. A lot of times I had to get off my bike and walk uphill. There were giant rocks I was certain were going to throw me off. And there were speeds I've never experienced with traffic and other bikers on the road. It was so much fun. A few minutes into the hike I saw a monkey family and a peacock. See video below.

The wildlife was amazing here. I've selected some of the best photos for you below.
Some kinda spiral plant
Whatchu lookin' at?

Peacock...I think
Caterpillar
Finally, here's what I saw, the view as I saw it over my handlebars and other photos. :) Enjoy!







Relaxing by the river

It was so good to get to be in nature. The air was so fresh and clear. The water was clear and cold. The coffee farmer strike is over now! So I'll be taking a bus down to Southern Colombia tomorrow and be in Ecuador by Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment