Saturday, March 9, 2013

Santa Rosa

Another day...another day trip.

It rained again in Pereira. But you're good to go as long as you have a hat and a poncho. I happen to have both. But I'm saving my poncho (for a rainy day)...where's my drum set?

Upon returning to the hostel, all the Colombians (the owners and their friend) asked me if I tried the chorizo there. Apparently Santa Rosa is world-famous for the quality of the chorizo there. I thought it was strange that this tiny town had so many chorizo vendors. However, I wasn't in the mood for chorizo. So I didn't have any. Ah well...live and learn.

I went to a cafe called Don Pascual's in Santa Rosa, on the recommendation of the owner of a local crepe shop in Pereira. I've eaten there four times in the last four days. And I can't say enough good things about it. The owner did not steer me wrong. This place was funky with a vibe that I like. Probably because all the seating was either sofas or over stuffed chairs. The coffee was great too.

The entrance

Main floor and bar

Main floor

Second floor and hanging things from the roof

The bar
Outside of Don Pascual's a short walk away is the mercado where all sorts of goods are bought and sold. It's a really busy place as you can see from the photos below. The people hanging off of the jeep is a normal occurrence here as there are no such things as seat belt requirements...
The main square, as with most towns in northern South America, has a statue of Simon Bolivar and a church. Tomorrow I'll be biking down a mountain and hiking to a waterfall. Hopefully it's not closed!

No comments:

Post a Comment