Friday, April 26, 2013

Huacachina

A desert oasis. It's so hot here.


A bunch of restaurants and hotels surround a man-made lagoon in Huacachina surrounded on all sides by massive sand dunes. It's about 4 hours south of Lima. I'm inching ever-closer to Machu Pichu. The main attraction here in Peru. I wonder if I'll see Jeffrey here (hint hint).
It's eerie sitting on the bus and watching the landscape change from rocky desert wasteland to sandy desert wasteland. There are farms out on the highway in the middle of nowhere. I don't know how they survive.


You can go sandboarding (which is just snowboarding on sand) and ride on dune buggies. The drivers are crazy. As I was climbing the dunes, I heard the rumbling of the diesel engines and three or four dune buggies full of people just fly over the top and then down the steep sides. The passengers scream and laugh the whole way down. I want to do it!
taking a rest climbing the dunes

desert landscape
moonrise
moon risen
I can't ever get tired of the sunsets down here. I didn't appreciate them as much back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment