Friday, April 5, 2013

Peru!

I've been looking forward to Peru most of all on this adventure because it has the most ancient civilizations of all South American countries. I really like archaeology. The Incas are just a footnote in history. I arrived in a small beach town called Mancora today. It was a horrible overnight bus trip from Cuenca to here. The driver took the mountain roads like a madman in the darkness. The border crossing was not too bad, but the Ecuador side was extremely slow. The Peru guy just registered me into the computer and I was on my way.


I arrived at the town of Mancora at 5am, the moto-taxi guy ripped off me and the people I was sharing with charging us $10USD for a two minute ride. Ah well, we made it here safely...and started ringing the bell like crazy people for about 15 minutes before someone came and answered the door. Instead of just taking us to our rooms, he gave about a 10 minute speech before we got placed.

It's now 9am. I've been awake for about 5 hours. Hopefully a quick dip in the ocean and a nap and I'll be good as new. Gotta love the backpacker life!

As per the norm when entering a new country, here's my (planned) itinerary:

  • Mancora, a beautiful beach town where you can learn to surf or learn Spanish (I probably won't do either)
  • Chiclayo, where there is the Sipan tombs
  • Chachapoyas, a quick day trip from here takes you to Kuelap (a fortress in ruins that rivals Machu Pichu built by cloud warriors)
  • Cajamarca, the site of the imprisonment and execution of the last Inca
  • Trujillo, known for it's Chimu civilization temples and Chan Chan (another ancient civilization)
  • Caral, which has the oldest known pyramids in the world
  • Lima, the capital and colonial centre of Peru
  • Ica, which has sand boarding and dune buggies and Huacachina (an oasis in the middle of the desert)
  • Cuzco, the starting and ending point of the trek to Machu Pichu
  • Canon del Colca where you can watch Andean condors catch the updrafts in a canyon double the size of the Grand Canyon in the States
  • Arequipa, a chilled out town to end my time in Peru before heading to Bolivia
It's going to be an interesting and educational time here. Have a great day people!

No comments:

Post a Comment