Thursday, April 25, 2013

Lima - Centro Historico

It's been a while since I've updated frequently. I know this. And I know, you, my adoring public, have been missing my amazing commentary and pictures and videos (although hardly anyone watches them, lol). I've been in Lima for two weeks waiting for my friend to fly in. He came and I finally went to the historic centre. It was amazing. I wish I'd have gone there earlier, I would have changed hostels. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20. This is a better shot of the mall in the cliff. And the Pacific sunset.

Here we go...

I started in the Plaza San Marin, which is a huge square with gigantic buildings surrounding it. The architecture is amazing. When I got there, there was a gathering or a demonstration or something happening. The email I got from the Canadian government told me to avoid large crowds in Peru (I really don't know why) so I ended up leaving there after I took these pics.
 





The Plaza San Marin is connected to the Plaza Mayor (or Plaza de Armas) by the Avenida Junin. This is a really nice old colonial street that is pedestrian only where there's shops, restos, and other things for people to buy stuff they don't need.

Cool carvings
Amazing balconies
 Then you get to the Plaza de Armas where there's the President's palace, the Lima Cathedral and Archbishop's palace. I love this square. I felt so happy to be there. The architecture was amazing, they've taken great care with the upkeep. Lima's downtown is also a UNESCO site.
Archbishop's palace
President's Palace
Colourful street
The street above leads to the church below. And below this church is are the catacombs of Lima. This is where they placed all the dead people from when the city was founded in 1535 for 300 years. There's supposed to be about 75,000 bodies down there. We weren't allowed to take pictures or videos on the tour, but being the guy that I am, I managed to take one or two. Those are real bodies and real bones. There's also an amazing library with hand-printed books over 400 years old. This was one of the best parts of Peru for me so far. Kind of dark...ah well.


No comments:

Post a Comment