Saturday, February 9, 2013

Barranquilla

I left the hostel in Santa Marta on a "private, door-to-door" service bus. However, it picks up other people on the way. We stopped at the airport and then when we got to Barranquilla, the driver didn't know where we were going and when we told him, we were about 3 blocks away from the hotel. So, on went the backpacks in the middle of the day in the day in the Caribbean heat to find the hotel. (I know right...heat...what a complainer!) The walk wasn't that far and the hotel was found quite easily.

I didn't bring my camera when I went out today, just because I've heard so many pickpocket stories. But I wish I had. I would have showed you the colourful market where they are selling all sorts of Carnaval goodies and knick knacks for tourists and locals.

I would have shown you the ice cream shop out of the back of a van. And I would have shown you where I bought my t-shirts (also out of the back of a van) for half the price of the tourist market.

At night (again without my camera) I went to the Noche de Tambo (Night of the Drums). It's a drum show that's put on at the only cathedral here in Barranquilla. It was a beautiful setting at night, because the cathedral is all lit up. There are vendors everywhere selling food, drinks, and souvenirs. And people, people, people. People were everywhere in the square in front of the cathedral. The drum show was not as upbeat as I thought it was, but it was still good. And people were singing along to the songs. It was really cool.

Today I'll bring my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment