Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Medellin to Pereira

I travelled to the heart of Colombian coffee country today. I didn't have my camera out, because you probably shouldn't do that on a bus. But it was an expensive bus, so I didn't think it would be a problem. I played it safe anyways and left it in my bag. So no pictures.

When I got the the bus station in Medellin, I checked with a few bus operators, certain that I had found the best deal I went out to the bus. When I was giving the porter my bag to toss in the back, he told me that the bus didn't actually stop at the Pereira terminal, but would drop me on the road to Pereira as they continued onwards. No wonder it was so cheap!

It was a lovely drive. I started at the top of a mountain and ended up in the valley. The driver was in some sort of death race against the clock and we were careening around corners at breakneck speeds. I hear this is the norm for long-distance buses. I also hear that Peru is much worse. Mario (my friend from the place ride down) recommended some motion sickness drugs that have the added benefit of knocking you out for the duration of the trip. That should be fun.

Luckily, there was a local bus just as I got off the long distance bus heading for the bus terminal. The hostel is only 5 minutes from the bus terminal, so that was a fortuitous event if there ever was one. Got the the hostel in one piece with a few hours to spare and went to the local mall. It reminded me of home. They even have the new Die Hard movie in English with Spanish subtitles. I'll probably watch that tomorrow.

That's all for today...nothing crazy exciting. That's how it goes sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment