Thursday, February 28, 2013

Cali

This post title is a bit of a misnomer. I tried to get to Popayan today so I went to the bus terminal here in Pereira. The only company going to Popayan told me that they had no buses going there today. They didn't say why. There was a very exuberant driver who said the best way would be to go to Cali then to Popayan. Fine. Pay him and get to Cali three hours later. I walked around to every bus desk that said they had buses to Popayan, but they all had the same answer. No buses.

What's going on?

Here's the scoop. There is a coffee plantation workers strike all throughout Colombia. They are protesting the government not standing up for them on world markets and demanding higher prices for Colombian coffee. As a result, they've blockaded major highways...mainly the roads to Medellin and Popayan. The people at the bus terminal in Pereira could have told me this, but they didn't.




Cali is so hot. So very hot. I couldn't stay there. So I hopped back on the bus to my new home away from home...Kolibri Hostel in Pereira. It only took 5 hours because we stopped in every single tiny town along the way! I've been here for about a week now and I have to say I really like the vibe I get from this town, the owners and the other longer-term guests. There's also a really nice restaurant called Crepes & Waffles (all in English) nearby which serves designer ice cream creations. They really are works of art. I got the Vanilla Hot Chocolate, where you get old style vanilla ice cream and hot chocolate sauce which you pour all over it. I'll try to get more pics of other ice creams. Even if it means going there every day. This place puts Demetre's to shame.




2 comments:

  1. Don't act like you haven't been there everyday

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't happen to see any abandoned nearly-untouched desserts nearby, did you?

    ReplyDelete